Wednesday 18 November 2009

What's in a name?

I was at Lucas's potential primary school to clock hours today. It's the P1 orientation and I was assigned to help register the kids. It was quite a mundane affair until some names had me in stitches. I wonder what were the parents thinking when they named their kids. And the poor kids who have to live with the names and its association, for life! Below are some really odd names.

- Strange male names: a set of twin brothers, Jammriod & Hammriod. Wonder if piles run in the family. Handy (I'm sure he will be a handy man), Hay (Hey, Hay!), Gaylim (erm, not for a boy?), Madthew, and finally, King.
- Strange female names: Dymetia, Isid (Is it?), Enide, Verginny (What???!!!), and my personal favourite Merlinal, the future wife of Merlion.

And these are Chinese kids. Why, parents, why? Then I recalled I wanted really unique name for Lucas, like Valdimir or Luthion. Luckily, I have a sane husband and colleagues who dissuaded me.

2 comments:

icer_goh said...

Haha :) I was one of those who dissuaded you lor. All those strange names!!! I am so glad my parents named me Glenn. :P

Ah Kin said...

Ahahahahaha....i had a good laugh at the names...sorry...but together with your personal 'interpretations' it's just so funny...esp Jammriod & Hammriod and trust you to associate with even the merlion's girlfriend ;D I suppose parents nowadays are trying to show how 'creative' they are at creating 'uniquely yours' names ;p