Tuesday 9 March 2010

I aspire...

I have an email box that is labeled as "Happy Emails". This is the box I open when I'm down in the dumps at work. It reminds me that bad times don't last and good times exist. One email went to this box very recently. One of my staff (who is really more like a friend and colleague) left for greener pasture. He sent a farewell note to about 10 other colleagues in the section. I was surprised and very touched by what he wrote. And it also left me with a tinge of guilt,... because I feel so undeserving of his praise. I had been his supervisor for 3 years and frankly, I have always felt that I did him injustice. I did not mentor or groom him. I did not hand hold or provide much guidance. I was not a good "boss" at all. I was a friend. The intriguing thing is, his description is very accurate of a particular person I admire and aspire to be. And I do not think I'm even close to being where this person is, as a boss. Nevertheless, I was still touched that I had somehow, unknowingly, impacted him. I aspire to be what he has written, and hopefully more. Then, I'd feel I deserve the accolade.

Email from LT
Hui San: Boss!! I think you're the best boss anyone could hope for -your intense focus on common logic, irreverence for rules, genuine concern for subordinates, and that sincerity you exude just makes anyone feel at ease and not just open, but totally non-defensive. I realise now that if I ever were to be a boss, I'd aspire to be a boss like you. You are the personification of all the values we've learnt in theories about the perfect boss, and people get things done for you not because they have to, but because they want to. To put it more succintly in the terms of a speaker I heard before, "in times of war, under great duress, some soldiers would stick a knife into their commanders' backs when told to charge. Others would charge without question, because they trust their commanders." But besides being a boss, you're a great friend to have also.. keep in touch with Adel and me! We'll look forward to your updates on FB :D I sincerely wish you the best in your career and family life, and that Lucas will grow up to be like Vincent and Lyra will grow up to be like.. you? (No?)

2 comments:

eunice said...

those are the best parting words anyone can give. and i'm sure there are some elements of truth in there somewhere. never knew you could be such a great boss. always thot you are a slave-driver ;p whipsh!!

FlatFlatCat said...

Ha ha! I also didn't think I'm good boss. I'm working hard towards it.